Korea Times manages personal information for the following purposes. Korea Times doesn’t use personal information for other purposes and when changing the purposes of use, it will seek consent in advance.
Personal information items collected by Korea Times for membership signup and various services provision online and business handling offline and their collection methods are as follows.
1. Collected items and method
A. Collection online
B. Collection offline (various forms)
1. Korea Times manages and retains personal information within a specific time period according to laws or as agreed by information objects when collecting personal information.
2. The period of managing and retaining each personal information is as follows.
In principle, Korea Times doesn’t consign personal information management to others without users’ consent.
However, when consigning under users’ consent, Korea Times clearly specifies compliance with personal information-related laws, prohibition of providing personal information to a third party and burden of responsibility etc., and keeps the contracts concerned in both print and digital forms. When changing companies concerned, Korea Times will make it public through notification and this personal information policy.
At present, personal information management is consigned as below under users’ consent.
Users can exercise the following rights as objects of personal information.
1) Information objects may exercise the right to request reading, modifying, deleting and suspending personal information etc. to Korea Times anytime.
2) Information objects may exercise the right in paragraph 1 to Korea Times through writing, email and FAX etc. in accordance with paragraph 1 of Article 41 of the Enforcement Decree of the Personal Information Protection Act, and Korea Times will take a measure without delay.
3) Information objects may exercise the right in paragraph 1 through agents such as a legal representative or a delegated person. In this case, power of attorney shall be submitted in accordance with No.11 Form in the Annex of Enforcement Rule of the Personal Information Protection Act.
4) The information objects’ right to request reading and suspending personal information may be restricted by paragraph 5 of Article 35 and paragraph 2 of Article 37 of the Personal Information Protection Act.
5) As for the request of modifying and deleting personal information, information objects shall not request deleting personal information if it is specified as a collected item in other laws.
6) Upon request of reading, modifying, deleting and suspending personal information etc. by information objects, Korea Times will check whether those who made such requests are a principal or a legitimate agent.
In principle, Korea Times will destroy personal information without delay when achieving the purpose of management of said personal information. The procedure, period and method of destruction is as follows.
1) Destruction procedure: Information entered by users will be moved to a separate database (in the case of paper, a separate document) after achieving the purpose, and will be destroyed after being saved for a certain period according to the internal policy and other relevant laws or immediately. In this case, the personal information moved to the database will not be used for other purposes unless specified by law.
2) Destruction period: Users’ personal information will be destroyed within 5 days after the date when the retention period of personal information expires or within 5 days after the date when the personal information becomes unnecessary due to achieving the purpose of management, closing services, terminating business etc.
3) Destruction method: Personal information printed on paper will be destroyed by shredding with a shredder or incinerating. Information in electronic files will be destroyed by using a technological method making records impossible to be reclaimed.
1) Korea Times uses a ‘cookie’ which saves information of users and retrieves it at any time in order to provide individually customized services.
2) A cookie is a small amount of information that a server (http) used for operating websites sends to users’ computer browsers and that may be saved on users’ PCs’ hard drive.
A. Purpose of using a cookie: A cookie is used for identifying the types of use of services and websites visited by users, popular search words and secured access etc. and for providing optimized information to users.
B. Installation, operation and rejection of a cookie: Users may reject saving by a cookie through setting an option in Tools>Internet Options>Personal Information at the top of web browser.
C. Rejecting saving by a cookie may cause difficulty in using customized services.
Korea Times takes technological/managerial and physical measures necessary for securing safety as below in accordance with the Article 29 of the Personal Information Protection Act.
1) Minimize and educate employees who deal with personal information
2) Implement regular self-audits
3) Establish and implement an internal management plan
4) Encrypt personal information
5) Technological measure in preparation for hacking etc.
6) Restriction of access to personal information
7) Prevention of saving and forging or falsifying access records
8) Use of a locking device for the security of documents
9) Access control of unauthorized persons
Korea Times has designated a person responsible for personal information protection and a staff member managing personal information as below in order to protect personal information and process personal information-related complaints. (Persons in charge of personal information protection in accordance with paragraph 1 of Article 31 of the Personal Information Protection Act)
• Person responsible for personal information protection: Oh Young-jin, Managing Editor of Digital Contents Bureau
• Staff member managing personal information: Kwak Won-hee, Team Leader of Digital Operation Team
This personal information policy shall apply from the date of enforcement, and in case of adding, deleting or modifying the contents according to law and policy, Korea Times will make it public through notification from 7 days before such changes take effect.
Personal information objects may apply for dispute settlement or counselling to Personal Information Dispute Mediation Committee and Personal Information Violation Report Center of Korea Internet and Security Agency etc. in order to receive remedy for violation of personal information.
For other reporting and counselling on violation of personal information, please inquire the organizations below.
- Personal Information Violation Report Center (privacy.kisa.or.kr / 118)
- Personal Information Dispute Mediation Committee (www.kopico.go.kr / 1833-6972)
- Cyber investigation division, Prosecution Service (www.spo.go.kr / 1301)
- Cyber safety bureau, Korean National Police Agency (cyberbureau.police.go.kr / 182)