Iljoong Calligraphy Hall opens
The Iljoong Memorial Foundation opens the Iljoong Calligraphy Hall, a permanent exhibition hall dedicated to late calligrapher Kim Choong-hyun (1921-2006), in Insa-dong, central Seoul, today.
The hall is located on the third floor of the Baekak Art Center and exhibits Kim’s calligraphy works and and keepsakes.
Born in 1921, Kim is one of the nation’s most celebrated calligraphers, who produced work in both Chinese characters and Hangeul, Korean text. In his time, he was a calligrapher without equal, especially in the palace style of Hangeul. Iljoong is Kim’s pseudonym.
A series of seminars on Kim’s work and life is scheduled for today at 3 p.m. Choi Wan-soo of Gansong Art Museum will talk about his life and personality, while Yoon Yang-hee will discuss his Hangeul calligraphy and Kwon Chang-ryun offers an overview on his Chinese calligraphy work. Lee Dong-kuk, curator of Seoul Calligraphy Art Museum, will give a lecture on Kim’s impact on Korean calligraphy.
The foundation also hosts the Iljoong Calligraphy Award that commemorates the work of Kim and promotes calligraphy. Previous winner Yoon, one of the speakers, will exhibit his work at the Baekak Art Center to celebrate the opening of the hall through June 13.
This year’s winner Lee Don-heung will be awarded today.
Additionally, the Iljoong Scholarship will be given to five students — Lee Chung-ja, Kwon Hyo-min, Park Joo-yul, Yoo Ki-won and Lee Eun-so.
For more information, call (02) 734-4205.